Friday, October 21, 2011

Food for a day away

What do you do when you have to be out all day, away from your kitchen, with no access to a fridge or a microwave, and no opportunity to eat out? It is very difficult to be gluten-free at all-day events that serve donuts in the morning and sandwiches for lunch, especially when you can't get in your car and go get some safe food during the lunch break. Tomorrow, I will be at a work event all day, and I am planning ahead! This is my go-to stash for situations where I can't eat safely, and also cannot bring my own prepared food such as a salad or soup.

Here are my tips for eating at a conference, workshop, a long day-trip in the car, or event where you do not have access to a fridge or your car:
1. Plan ahead. Stock your pantry with these items so you are prepared in the event you need backup food.
2. Eat a large breakfast that can sustain you well in to the morning. Tomorrow I will be having a hearty smoothie with fruits and veggies.
3. Choose items that have plenty of protein and can carry you through the day.
4. Pack in containers that you can easily carry with you. While it would be nice to bring your jar of almond butter along with a spoon, it's not very practical.


My food choices for tomorrow are:
1. Larabars. Oh my goodness. I. Love. Larabars. They are made from nuts, dried fruits, and spices. THAT'S IT! They are very healthy and are also delicious! My favorite flavor is Gingersnap. I always keep Larabars in my pantry for when I will be out and know it will be a long time between meals. They are a great snack. You can order them online here; they are also available in most grocery stores.
2. An apple with almond butter. This is one of my favorite snacks at home too! I love the Justin's Almond Butter individual packets - they are easy to pack and also easy to put on an apple as you eat. My favorite flavor is Maple Almond Butter - all safe ingredients.
3. Trail Mix. I made this trail mix in the bulk section at Whole Foods. It consists of organic raw pecans, cashews, and almonds, along with dried cranberries and organic chocolate chips.  A word of warning - double check ingredients every time. I have been to one Whole Foods where the banana chips were completely safe, and I happily added them to my mix. However, this time, the banana chips had been processed on the same equipment as wheat and were therefore cross-contaminated. So, no banana chips for me. (I think I might like this trail mix better without them though!)

Tomorrow, I will be a happy, well-fed gal. And I'm always more pleasant to be around when I am well-fed. Leave a comment if you have any other great ideas for on-the-go gluten-free foods!

3 comments:

  1. Justin's Maple Almond Butter is my FAVORITE. I have it every morning with breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! The Chocolate is good too but nothing beats the Maple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, had my first Larabar today for breakfast. You were right!! So good! I also bought a whole mess of veggies to try making a smoothie tomorrow. I am so glad you are writing this blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete