Sunday, October 2, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract

One of the things that I had trouble with when I first went gluten free was vanilla extract. You may have noticed that Vanilla Extract packaging always lists "Alcohol" and vanilla bean extractives. It never specifies what kind of alcohol - is it vodka, rum, whisky? What is it? I was surprised to find out that most liquor is derived from grain (usually corn) - including most vodkas, whisky, gin. When I was first experimenting with gluten-free baking, I was using Mexican Vanilla Extract that a friend had brought me as a gift. My lips swelled up twice their normal size. I've also gotten very sick when using certified organic vanilla extract.

With all of this mystery surrounding the alcohol used in Vanilla Extract, I decided to eliminate the risk and make my own. I ordered high quality vanilla beans from Amazon, and purchased some Potato Vodka (made completely from potatoes).


Homemade Vanilla Extract

5-10 Vanilla Beans (I bought these)
1 cup high quality Potato Vodka

1. Slice open vanilla bean pods lengthwise (do not cut completely in half)
2. Cut beans into 1-2'' sections.
3. Place cut vanilla beans into a small mason jar.
4. Pour vodka over vanilla beans and seal jar.
5. Shake well.
6. Store mason jar in a dark cabinet for 3 months, and shake at least every other day.

When your vanilla extract is finished, you can strain the liquid through a cheesecloth in order to remove the vanilla beans. I like to leave mine as it is, though, for the added flavor of the beans.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to make my own vanilla for a while now, but never have. I am currently using some I got in Mexico. :) Do you like the taste of the homemade just as well? I wonder how the different alcohols would change the flavor...

    ReplyDelete